Skip to main content

Walking on Eggshells

Walking on Eggshells — From Gaslight to Daylight
From Gaslight to Daylight

Walking on Eggshells

Living in Constant Anxiety

You know the feeling. That tightness in your chest the second you hear the garage door open. The way you scan their face before you even say hello - reading their expression like a weather forecast, trying to figure out what kind of night it's going to be. The mental math you do before every sentence, every decision, every breath - will this set them off?

That's what walking on eggshells feels like. Not a metaphor. Not an exaggeration. A literal, full-body state of hypervigilance that turns your own home into a minefield. And the cruelest part? After a while, you don't even realize you're doing it. It just becomes the way you exist.

How It Starts

It doesn't happen overnight. Nobody walks into a relationship already flinching. It happens slowly - one explosion at a time, one silent treatment at a time, one "you're being ridiculous" at a time. You learn, through repetition, that certain things trigger certain reactions. So you start adjusting. Not because anyone asks you to. Because the consequences of not adjusting are unbearable.

You learn which topics are off-limits. You learn which tone of voice is "safe." You learn to read their posture from across the room and decide in a split second whether tonight is a night you can relax or a night you need to disappear. You learn to make yourself smaller, quieter, less.

You didn't become anxious because something is wrong with you. You became anxious because something was wrong with your environment - and your body did exactly what it was supposed to do to keep you safe.

And that's the part that needs to be said louder. Walking on eggshells isn't a personality flaw. It's an adaptive response. Your nervous system learned that this person was unpredictable, that their moods were dangerous, and that your safety depended on your ability to predict and prevent. So it went on high alert. And it stayed there.

What It Does to You

Living in a constant state of hypervigilance does something to a person. It's not just emotional - it's physical. I lived in my body like it was a war zone for years, and my body kept score. The jaw clenching I didn't notice until my dentist asked why I was grinding my teeth down. The stomach that was never fully settled. The sleep that never fully restored me because some part of my nervous system refused to stand down even when the house was quiet. Your body is flooded with cortisol and adrenaline around the clock, and your immune system runs on fumes because survival is consuming every resource you have.

And mentally? You start losing yourself. You can't think straight because half your brain is always running surveillance on someone else's emotional state. You forget things. You can't make decisions because every decision you've made in the last however-many-months has been wrong - or at least they've told you it was. You start second-guessing everything. Your judgment. Your feelings. Your memory. Your reality.

Did that really happen? Am I remembering it right? Maybe I am overreacting.

That's not confusion. That's what happens when someone systematically dismantles your ability to trust yourself. And the walking-on-eggshells state is both the symptom and the tool. You walk carefully because they're volatile. And they stay volatile because your careful walking gives them exactly the power they want.

The Quiet Part

Here's what people don't understand from the outside: the eggshell-walking isn't just about the explosions. It's about everything between the explosions. It's the anticipation. The dread. The way your whole body braces for impact even on a good day - because you know good days don't last. You've learned that peace is just the calm before the next storm, and your body refuses to let you relax into it.

This Is What It Actually Sounds Like in Your Head

Don't bring that up right now. Wait until they're in a good mood. Actually, don't bring it up at all. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe I'm the one making this harder than it needs to be. Just keep the peace. Just get through tonight.

You edit yourself constantly. You rehearse conversations in your head before you have them. You swallow things you need to say because the cost of saying them is higher than the cost of silence. And eventually, you stop having opinions at all - because opinions are dangerous. Needs are dangerous. Taking up space is dangerous.

You become a ghost in your own life. Still there, still moving, still functioning - but hollow. Running on autopilot and survival instinct and the desperate hope that if you can just be perfect enough, quiet enough, agreeable enough, it will stop.

It won't. It never does. Because eggshells don't break because you step wrong. They break because someone keeps laying them in your path.

What Happens When You Leave

Here's the thing nobody tells you - the eggshells don't disappear when you leave. They follow you. I know because I felt them in new relationships long after I was gone - that old scanning reflex kicking in with someone who had done nothing to earn it. Because walking on eggshells was never about the person. It was about the pattern your nervous system learned. And your nervous system doesn't know the relationship is over. It's still scanning. Still bracing. Still waiting for the next explosion that isn't coming.

You might notice it in small ways at first. Flinching when someone raises their voice - even if it's just excitement. Apologizing for existing. Over-explaining yourself because you're so used to being interrogated that you preemptively defend every choice you make. Bracing for anger that never arrives.

You left the relationship. But your body hasn't left the war zone yet. And that's not a failure. That's trauma doing exactly what trauma does.

It shows up in new relationships too. The first time a new partner goes quiet, your whole system lights up. What did I do? Are they mad? Is this the beginning of the end? Because silence used to mean punishment. Quiet used to be the most dangerous sound in your house.

And the frustration of knowing that - of seeing the pattern and still not being able to stop it - that's its own kind of exhausting. You know you're safe now. Your brain knows. But your body hasn't caught up. And healing lives in the body, not the brain.

Putting the Eggshells Down

Healing from this kind of chronic hypervigilance takes time. More time than you want it to. And it's not a straight line. Some days you'll feel solid and grounded and free. Other days something small will trigger the whole system and you'll find yourself right back in survival mode, apologizing for the way you breathe.

But here's what I want you to hold onto: every time you catch yourself walking on eggshells in a space that's actually safe - and you pause, and you take a breath, and you choose not to shrink - that's healing. It doesn't feel dramatic. It doesn't feel like a breakthrough. But it is. Because you're retraining your nervous system to believe what your brain already knows - you're allowed to take up space here.

A Reminder for Today

You don't have to earn the right to exist in a room. You don't have to monitor someone else's mood to figure out if you're safe. You don't have to rehearse your words before you speak them. That was survival. This is your life. And you're allowed to stop tiptoeing through it.

♦ ♦ ♦

If you're still in the eggshell house - I see you. I know how tired you are. I know how small you've had to make yourself just to get through the day. And I know you think this is normal because it's all you've known for so long.

But it's not normal. And you deserve more than surviving someone else's moods.

You deserve to walk through your own life without watching your step.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Worst Moment = Their Best Weapon

Your Worst Moment Was Their Best Weapon — From Gaslight to Daylight ◆ From Gaslight to Daylight ◆ Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Your Worst Moment Was Their Best Weapon What Reactive Abuse Really Is - And Why It Doesn't Make You the Abuser By Hollie Marble  |  From Gaslight to Daylight There's a moment that lives inside most survivors of narcissistic abuse. It's the moment you finally snapped. Maybe you screamed. Maybe you said something vicious - something so ugly it didn't even sound like your voice. Maybe you threw something. Maybe you checked their phone, or followed them, or said the most hurtful thing you could possibly think of just to make them feel something. And in that moment - or in the hours and days after - they looked at you with that expression. That calm, almost satisfied expression. And they said it. "See? You're the one with the problem. Look at how you're acti...

Rebuilding Your Identity After Narcissistic Abuse

Rebuilding Your Identity After Narcissistic Abuse | From Gaslight to Daylight ♦ From Gaslight to Daylight ♦ Recovery  ·  Identity  ·  By Hollie Marble Rebuilding Your Identity Who Were You Before Them?  ·  By Hollie Marble  ·  From Gaslight to Daylight Someone asked me this question once - early in my recovery, when I was still raw and hollowed out and genuinely unsure what I liked to eat for breakfast. "Who were you before them?" And I opened my mouth to answer and nothing came out. Not because I was emotional. Because I didn't know. I literally could not remember. The person I was before felt like a stranger I'd seen in a photograph once but couldn't quite place. I knew she existed. I just couldn't reach her. If that's where you are right now - standing in the rubble of someone else's version of you, trying to figure out which pieces are actually yours - I want you to know something. That blankness is no...

Leaving A Toxic Relationship? Your "No Bullshit" Guide For Getting Through The First Month

Leaving A Toxic Relationship? Your No-Bullshit Guide For Getting Through The First Month | From Gaslight to Daylight ♦ From Gaslight to Daylight ♦ Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Recovery - The Early Days Leaving A Toxic Relationship? Your No-Bullshit Guide For Getting Through The First Month What actually happens in those thirty days - and how to survive it without losing your mind. By Hollie Marble  |  From Gaslight to Daylight Nobody sat me down and told me what the first month would actually feel like. Everyone said "you're so brave" and "you did the right thing" and "you're going to be so much happier." And I wanted to believe them. I really did. But in the first thirty days? Brave wasn't even in my vocabulary. Terrified was. Gutted was. What-the-hell-did-I-just-do was. I was free and I was falling and those two things felt exactly the same. So here's what I wish someone had actually said to me. ...