Skip to main content

Their New Supply Isn't "Winning

Their New Supply Isn't "Winning" — From Gaslight to Daylight
From Gaslight to Daylight

Their New Supply Isn't "Winning"

They're Next

You saw the post. Or maybe someone told you. Or maybe you went looking - you swore you wouldn't but you did - and there it was. I did that. More than once. Told myself I was just checking, just one quick look, and then sat there with my stomach on the floor staring at vacation photos and couple selfies and a gushing caption about "finally finding my person." And something in me just - cracked. Because it looked like they changed. It looked like the thing I'd begged for, cried for, nearly destroyed myself trying to create - the good version of them, the version that shows up and stays and loves well - they just gave it to someone else.

They didn't. And I need you to hear that before the spiral pulls you under - because I know exactly how fast that spiral moves.

What You're Actually Seeing

You're seeing the love bombing phase. That's all. The same phase you experienced at the beginning - the intoxicating, overwhelming, too-good-to-be-true phase where they were everything you ever wanted and you couldn't believe your luck. Remember how that felt? Remember how you would have posted the same kind of photos, said the same kind of things, looked just as happy from the outside?

That's where the new person is. Not in the relationship you left. In the relationship you entered. And if you could go back and look at your own social media from month two or month three, you'd see the exact same glow. The exact same performance. The exact same illusion.

They didn't become a better partner. They started a new cycle. And the new person is standing in the same spot you stood in - they just don't know it yet.

The narcissist didn't change. They reloaded. New person, same playbook. The charm. The intensity. The "I've never felt this way before." The making them feel like the center of the universe. It's the same script with a different cast member. And the new person isn't getting something you weren't good enough to receive. They're getting the same performance you got - before the mask came off.

The Jealousy Is Normal (And It Lies)

I'm not going to tell you not to feel jealous. That would be dishonest and unhelpful. You're going to feel it. That sick, burning, irrational jealousy that makes you want to scream - not because you want them back, but because it looks like they gave someone else the version of themselves you spent years begging for.

But the jealousy is lying to you. It's telling you a story that isn't true. The story goes: they changed for her. She's getting the real version. I wasn't enough but she is. There was something wrong with me that made them treat me that way, and she doesn't have that flaw, so she gets the good version.

Every word of that is a lie.

They didn't change. She isn't special. You weren't the problem. And the "good version" she's getting has an expiration date that she can't see from where she's standing - but you can. Because you've already lived the entire cycle. You've already seen what comes after the flowers and the promises. You already know how this story ends.

What She Doesn't Know Yet

She doesn't know about the silent treatment that's coming. The criticism that starts small and grows. The way they'll make her feel crazy for having feelings. The way they'll isolate her from her friends one by one. The first time she'll cry in the bathroom and wonder what she did wrong. The night she'll search "is my partner a narcissist" at 2am and feel her whole reality tilt.

She's not winning. She's in line. And the ride she just got on is the same one that nearly broke you.

The Performance Is for You

Here's something important: a lot of that public display of the new relationship is deliberate. It's not just for the new person. It's for you. The narcissist knows you're watching - or at least that word will get back to you. And the happy photos, the over-the-top declarations, the "look how great my life is" narrative - that's a message. It's designed to make you feel exactly what you're feeling right now: replaced, inadequate, and questioning whether the abuse was even real.

It's another form of control. Even after the relationship is over, they're still manipulating your emotions through a screen. The new supply isn't just a partner - they're a prop. A tool to hurt you from a distance. And the moment you recognize that, the power of those images starts to fade.

Happy people in happy relationships don't need to perform their happiness for an audience. They're too busy being happy. The louder the performance, the less real it is.

What About When It's Been Years?

Some of you are reading this thinking: but they've been together for years and it still looks good. And I want to address that honestly because I'm not going to pretend every narcissistic relationship implodes on a public timeline.

Some don't. Some new partners are better at tolerating the abuse. Some are better at performing normalcy. Some have their own trauma that makes them more compliant, more patient, more willing to absorb what the narcissist dishes out. That doesn't mean they're happier. It means they're more practiced at enduring.

And some narcissists are better at hiding it the second time around. They learned from losing you. Not how to be better - how to be smarter about the manipulation. How to keep the mask on longer. How to choose someone who won't push back the way you did. That's not growth. That's refinement of the strategy.

You have no way of knowing what happens behind closed doors. And the absence of visible damage doesn't mean the absence of damage. You of all people know that. Your relationship probably looked beautiful from the outside too.

Redirecting the Focus

Every minute you spend analyzing their new relationship is a minute you're not spending on yours. Not a romantic relationship - your relationship with yourself. Your recovery. Your rebuilding. The life you're constructing on the other side of all this pain.

Unfollow. Block. Mute. Stop looking. I know you know this already. And I know you've probably broken this rule more times than you want to admit. But every time you look, you reset the clock on your healing. Every photo you see activates the comparison, the jealousy, the doubt. And none of it gives you information that helps you. It only gives you information that hurts you.

Redirect the jealousy into fuel. When the jealousy hits - and it will - use it. Let it remind you what you want. Not them - the feeling. The feeling of being chosen. Of being adored. Of being someone's person. You deserve that feeling. And you're going to have it again - with someone who means it. Not someone who performs it for three months and then spends three years tearing you apart.

A Reframe for the Bad Moments

When you see the photos and your brain says they're happy now, correct it: they're love bombing now.

When your brain says she's getting the best of them, correct it: she's getting the beginning. I've already seen the middle and the end.

When your brain says I wasn't enough, correct it: I was too much. Too real. Too honest. Too unwilling to keep pretending. And that's why it ended.

The Real Comparison

You want to compare? Let's compare. A year from now, where will she be? Likely deeper in the cycle - more confused, more isolated, more gaslit, more entangled. And where will you be? Further from it. Stronger. Clearer. More yourself than you've been in years. The gap between your trajectories is widening every single day. She's headed into the storm you survived. And you're headed toward sunlight.

That's not schadenfreude. I genuinely feel compassion for anyone who's in the grip of a narcissist and doesn't know it yet. But the reality is: you got out. She hasn't. And in the math of recovery, you're ahead. Not because you're better than her - because you're free.

♦ ♦ ♦

If you saw the post today - if you're sitting in that gutted feeling right now, comparing yourself to someone who doesn't know what she's in for - I need you to close the app. Put the phone face down. And remind yourself of something.

You didn't lose them. You survived them. And the person in those happy photos isn't living your dream. They're living your nightmare from the beginning - before you knew it was a nightmare. Before the mask slipped. Before the good version disappeared and the real one moved in.

She's not winning. She's next. And you? You're already out. That's not losing. That's the whole point.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Worst Moment = Their Best Weapon

Your Worst Moment Was Their Best Weapon — From Gaslight to Daylight ◆ From Gaslight to Daylight ◆ Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Your Worst Moment Was Their Best Weapon What Reactive Abuse Really Is - And Why It Doesn't Make You the Abuser By Hollie Marble  |  From Gaslight to Daylight There's a moment that lives inside most survivors of narcissistic abuse. It's the moment you finally snapped. Maybe you screamed. Maybe you said something vicious - something so ugly it didn't even sound like your voice. Maybe you threw something. Maybe you checked their phone, or followed them, or said the most hurtful thing you could possibly think of just to make them feel something. And in that moment - or in the hours and days after - they looked at you with that expression. That calm, almost satisfied expression. And they said it. "See? You're the one with the problem. Look at how you're acti...

Rebuilding Your Identity After Narcissistic Abuse

Rebuilding Your Identity After Narcissistic Abuse | From Gaslight to Daylight ♦ From Gaslight to Daylight ♦ Recovery  ·  Identity  ·  By Hollie Marble Rebuilding Your Identity Who Were You Before Them?  ·  By Hollie Marble  ·  From Gaslight to Daylight Someone asked me this question once - early in my recovery, when I was still raw and hollowed out and genuinely unsure what I liked to eat for breakfast. "Who were you before them?" And I opened my mouth to answer and nothing came out. Not because I was emotional. Because I didn't know. I literally could not remember. The person I was before felt like a stranger I'd seen in a photograph once but couldn't quite place. I knew she existed. I just couldn't reach her. If that's where you are right now - standing in the rubble of someone else's version of you, trying to figure out which pieces are actually yours - I want you to know something. That blankness is no...

Leaving A Toxic Relationship? Your "No Bullshit" Guide For Getting Through The First Month

Leaving A Toxic Relationship? Your No-Bullshit Guide For Getting Through The First Month | From Gaslight to Daylight ♦ From Gaslight to Daylight ♦ Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Recovery - The Early Days Leaving A Toxic Relationship? Your No-Bullshit Guide For Getting Through The First Month What actually happens in those thirty days - and how to survive it without losing your mind. By Hollie Marble  |  From Gaslight to Daylight Nobody sat me down and told me what the first month would actually feel like. Everyone said "you're so brave" and "you did the right thing" and "you're going to be so much happier." And I wanted to believe them. I really did. But in the first thirty days? Brave wasn't even in my vocabulary. Terrified was. Gutted was. What-the-hell-did-I-just-do was. I was free and I was falling and those two things felt exactly the same. So here's what I wish someone had actually said to me. ...