The Leaving Process
Everyone talks about leaving like it's a single moment. A decision. A door you walk through and then it's over. But that's not how it works. Not even close. Leaving a narcissistic relationship isn't a moment - it's a process. A long, messy, nonlinear, gut-wrenching process that starts long before you pack a bag and continues long after you've gone. And nobody - nobody - prepares you for what it actually feels like to live inside that process.
So I'm going to try. Not with a checklist. Not with "five steps to freedom." But with the truth. Because you deserve to know what's coming - not so it scares you out of doing it, but so you stop thinking you're doing it wrong when it gets hard.
The Before
Leaving starts before you leave. It starts with a knowing. A quiet, persistent voice somewhere deep in your chest that says this isn't right. You might hear it for months - maybe years - before you act on it. You might push it down, argue with it, drown it out with excuses and hope and the sound of their apology after the last blowup.
But it doesn't go away. It gets louder. And at some point - maybe after one too many fights, maybe after a moment so clear it cuts through all the fog - the knowing becomes a decision. Not a confident one. Not a clean one. A shaking, terrified, barely-holding-together decision that says: I can't do this anymore.
That decision will come and go. Some days it will feel solid as a rock. Other days it will dissolve completely, and you'll lie in bed wondering if you're making the biggest mistake of your life. That's normal. That's not weakness. That's the cognitive dissonance doing what it does - trying to pull you back into the fog because the fog feels safer than the unknown.
Leaving isn't one decision. It's the same decision made over and over again, sometimes multiple times a day, until the leaving becomes real.
The Attempts
Most people don't leave the first time they try. Statistics vary, but on average, it takes multiple attempts before someone permanently leaves an abusive relationship. And every time someone goes back, the world judges them. Why would you go back? I thought you were done. I can't keep watching you do this to yourself.
But going back isn't failure. Going back is what happens when the pull of the trauma bond is stronger than the push of the pain - and that's not a character flaw, it's neuroscience. Your brain is addicted to the cycle. The intermittent reinforcement - the good days mixed with the bad - has wired your reward system to crave the very thing that's destroying you. Going back is your brain reaching for the drug it knows, not a conscious choice to accept abuse.
I went back more than once. And every single time, I carried a piece of shame about it that I didn't need to be carrying - because shame isn't what gets you out. Clarity does. And here's what I wish someone had told me during those attempts: every single one of them taught me something. Every time I left and went back, I took a little more clarity with me. The fog lifted a little more. The illusion got a little thinner. The version of them I'd been protecting in my head got a little harder to defend against the version I kept living with. And one day - the last time - I left and I didn't go back. Not because the pull stopped. But because I finally became stronger than it.
Don't let anyone shame you for it. Not your friends, not your family, not yourself. You're not back at square one. You're carrying everything you learned during the last attempt. The awareness is cumulative. You know more now than you did before. And that knowledge is building toward the moment when you go and you stay gone. Trust the process - even when the process looks like a zigzag.
The Moment
The actual leaving - the day it happens - is rarely what you imagined. It might not be dramatic. It might not be a screaming match or a final straw or a cinematic moment of clarity. For some people, it's a quiet Tuesday. A bag packed while they're at work. A key left on the counter. A text sent from a parking lot: I'm not coming back.
For some people, it's an emergency. A night that goes too far. A 911 call. A friend's couch at 2am with nothing but the clothes on your back and a phone charger.
For some people, it's slow. A gradual disentangling. Separate bedrooms. Separate bank accounts. A conversation with a lawyer. A lease signed in secret. The leaving happens in pieces, over weeks or months, until one day you're standing in a new apartment and it hits you - I actually did it.
There is no "right" way to leave. There is only your way. And your way is valid, whatever it looks like.
The After Nobody Talks About
Here's the part that blindsides almost everyone: the aftermath is harder than the leaving. Not in the same way. Not the same kind of hard. But hard in ways you didn't see coming because everyone told you the hard part was getting out.
The first few days might feel like relief. Or shock. Or complete numbness. You might feel euphoric one hour and terrified the next. You might cry in the shower and then laugh at something stupid on TV and then cry again because you feel guilty for laughing. Your emotions won't make sense. They're not supposed to yet.
The leaving is the earthquake. The after is the living in the rubble while you figure out how to rebuild.
The loneliness hits hard. Not because you miss them exactly - but because you miss the structure. The routine. The role you played. The constant occupation of managing someone else's emotions. Without that, the silence is deafening. And your brain, which has been in survival mode for so long, doesn't know what to do with the absence of crisis. It starts creating its own. Did I make a mistake? Should I call them? What if they change? What if I can't do this alone?
You can. You just haven't had the chance to prove it to yourself yet.
The Hoovering
They will try to get you back. Count on it. A narcissist doesn't just let their supply walk away. They'll hoover - named after the vacuum, because they're trying to suck you back in.
For me, it was the sweet approach. The texts I'd been waiting years to receive. The apology that finally - finally - sounded like it might be real. The version of them I'd always hoped existed, showing up right on cue the moment I had one foot out the door. I'll go to therapy. I've changed. I can't live without you. I know I hurt you and I'm so sorry. And the part of me that had loved them, that had spent years hoping for exactly those words, wanted to believe it so badly it physically hurt.
That's the cruelty of the hoover. It doesn't show up as the version of them you were running from. It shows up as the version you were always running toward. And you have to be clear-eyed enough - in one of the most emotionally vulnerable moments of your life - to see them for what they are instead of what you wished they'd been.
Don't go back for the apology. Go back to your documentation. Read what you wrote when you were in the middle of it - the notes, the journal entries, the texts you screenshotted at 2am because you knew you'd need proof someday. That version of you was there. She felt it. She knew the truth. Believe her over the person standing at your door with flowers and regret.
And know this: if the sweet approach doesn't work, the tactics will change. Guilt. Threats. Using the children. Turning your people against you. The desperation escalates when the charm fails. That shift isn't love unraveling - it's control losing its grip. Be ready for it. Have your support system in place. And remember that none of it - not the sweetness and not the rage - is about you. It's about them not being able to tolerate losing what they thought they owned.
The person texting you "I've changed" at midnight is the same person who made you afraid to sleep in your own home. The person promising to go to therapy is the same person who told you you were the one who needed help. The words are new. The person isn't. And the cycle they're trying to restart is the same one that nearly broke you.
You didn't leave because you stopped loving them. You left because you started loving yourself. Don't go back to the burning building just because someone inside is calling your name.
The Rebuilding
At some point - and it's different for everyone - the surviving part starts to shift into the living part. It's not a switch that flips. It's more like a tide that turns. One day you realize you went a whole morning without checking if they tried to contact you. One day you laugh and it doesn't feel stolen. One day someone asks how you're doing and you say "good" and you mean it.
The rebuilding is quiet work. It's finding out who you are when you're not managing someone else. It's rediscovering what you like, what you want, what kind of life you'd build if nobody was controlling the blueprint. It's learning to trust yourself again after years of being told your judgment was broken.
It's also terrifying. Because freedom, when you haven't had it in a long time, feels a lot like free-falling. You're used to someone else making the decisions, setting the tone, defining the reality. And now it's just you. And "just you" is going to have to be enough.
She is. You are. Even on the days when you don't believe it yet.
What I Want You to Know
The leaving process is not a straight line. It's not a motivational poster. It's a war between the person you were trained to be and the person you were always meant to become. And it's ugly and beautiful and devastating and hopeful - sometimes all in the same hour.
You will doubt yourself. You will miss them. You will wonder if you made a mistake. You will have moments of absolute clarity followed by moments of absolute chaos. You will feel like you're falling apart and putting yourself together at the exact same time.
All of that is the process. All of that is normal. And none of it means you're doing it wrong.
If you're in any stage of this - the thinking, the planning, the attempting, the leaving, the aftermath, the rebuilding - I want you to know that wherever you are is exactly where you're supposed to be. You don't have to be further along. You don't have to be over it by now. You don't have to have it all figured out.
You just have to keep going. One day. One decision. One breath at a time.
And if today all you can do is keep breathing - that's enough. Because you're still here. And that means the hardest part didn't win.

Comments
Post a Comment