Skip to main content

Stop Waiting for the Apology

Stop Waiting for the Apology — From Gaslight to Daylight
From Gaslight to Daylight

Stop Waiting for the Apology That's Never Coming

Your Healing Can't Live in Their Hands

You're still waiting. Maybe not consciously. Maybe you've told yourself you've moved on, you're doing the work, you're building a new life. And you are. But somewhere underneath all of that progress, there's a small, stubborn, aching part of you that's still holding out for the words. I'm sorry. I was wrong. You didn't deserve that. Three sentences. That's all you want. Three honest sentences that acknowledge the reality of what you lived through - and the part of you that's waiting for them won't fully rest until you hear them.

You won't hear them. And I know that's devastating. But I need you to understand why - not so you lose hope, but so you stop placing your healing in the hands of someone who has no intention of giving it to you.

The Apology You Want Doesn't Exist

What you want isn't just the words "I'm sorry." You want a real apology. One that demonstrates understanding. One where they name specifically what they did - the gaslighting, the manipulation, the cruelty - and show you they understand the impact. One where the remorse is genuine and the accountability is total. One that doesn't include a "but" or a redirect or a justification. One that centers your pain instead of their image.

That apology requires a level of self-awareness, empathy, and emotional honesty that a narcissistic person does not possess. Not won't access - does not possess. It's like asking someone who is colorblind to describe the sunset. The capacity isn't there. And waiting for it is waiting for a biological impossibility.

They can't apologize for something they'll never see as wrong. And they can't give you healing they don't have access to.

You might get an apology of sorts. The hoover apology - the one that shows up when they need something from you. The performance apology - the one delivered in front of other people to restore their image. The conditional apology - I'm sorry you felt that way. The boomerang apology - I'm sorry, but you also... None of those are what you're waiting for. And accepting any of them as a substitute will leave you emptier than before.

What the Waiting Does to You

Waiting for an apology that isn't coming keeps you tethered. Not physically - you might be miles and months away from them. But emotionally, psychologically, the cord is still connected. Because as long as your healing depends on something they need to do, they still hold power over your recovery. They still own a piece of your timeline. And you're still, in some quiet corner of your heart, orienting your life around them.

I waited. For a long time. And eventually I got something that looked like an apology - the conditional kind, the one with a "but" buried in the middle of it, the one that was really just a different form of the same old rewrite. And I remember how hollow it felt. How I'd spent all that time waiting for something that, when it finally came, left me emptier than the silence had. Because it wasn't the apology I needed. It was a performance. And I knew it the moment I heard it.

The waiting also keeps you in the role of the injured party - which is accurate, you were injured. But staying in that role indefinitely means your identity becomes the wound. And the wound, unacknowledged by the person who made it, never fully closes. It stays open. Waiting. Infected by hope.

That hope isn't the kind that heals. It's the kind that keeps you looking backward.

What Waiting Sounds Like in Your Head

One day they'll realize what they lost. One day it'll hit them. One day they'll call me and actually mean it. One day they'll grow up, get help, look in the mirror. One day I'll get the words I've been owed for years.

One day might never come. And every day you spend waiting for it is a day your healing waits too.

Why You Want It So Badly

The desire for the apology isn't petty. It's not about pride or revenge or being right. It's about validation. You need someone to say "it was real" because you spent years being told it wasn't. You need the person who gaslit you to ungaslight you - to finally confirm that what happened wasn't in your head, wasn't your fault, and wasn't something you imagined or exaggerated or brought on yourself.

That's a completely understandable need. And I don't minimize it. The problem isn't the need - it's the source you're looking to fill it. Because the person who gaslit you is never going to be the one who validates you. They can't. It would require them to see themselves as the person who lied to you - and their entire identity is built on the belief that they didn't.

The validation has to come from somewhere else. From you. From a therapist who names it. From a friend who saw it. From the community of people who lived the same thing and know - without being told - exactly what you went through. Those voices aren't the voice you want. But they're the voices that tell the truth. And the truth is enough.

You don't need their apology to know what happened was real. Your body knows. Your nervous system knows. Your documentation knows. The truth doesn't require their signature.

What Happens When You Stop Waiting

When you release the need for the apology - and I say "release" because it's a process, not a switch - something shifts. The cord that kept you connected to them goes slack. The part of your healing that was on pause starts moving again. And the energy you were spending on hope for their change gets redirected toward your own.

You stop checking their social media to see if they've posted anything that suggests self-reflection. You stop analyzing their texts for signs of remorse. You stop running conversations in your head where they finally say the right thing. All that mental real estate gets freed up. And for the first time, there's room for something other than them.

Releasing the apology isn't forgiveness. You don't have to forgive them. Forgiveness is a separate conversation entirely, and it's optional. Releasing the apology is simply the decision to stop making your peace contingent on their participation. It's saying: I don't need you to acknowledge what you did in order to heal from it. I'm going to heal anyway.

And that? That is the most powerful thing you can say to someone who spent years making you believe you couldn't survive without them.

The Apology You Can Give Yourself

If they won't say it - and they won't - maybe it's time to say it to yourself. Not their words. Yours.

I'm sorry I stayed so long. Not because I was wrong for trying - but because I deserved better than what I was willing to accept. I'm sorry I let someone else define my worth. I'm sorry I abandoned my own needs to manage theirs. I'm sorry I didn't listen to my gut the first time it screamed. And I'm sorry I spent so long waiting for someone else to validate what I already knew.

That apology matters. Not because you did anything wrong - but because the relationship with yourself is the one that needs repair. And you can begin that repair without waiting for anyone else's permission.

♦ ♦ ♦

If you're still holding space for the apology - if there's a part of you that reads these words and thinks but maybe they will - I'm not going to take that hope from you. But I am going to ask you to stop building your house on it. Stop letting your healing wait for their awakening. Stop placing the key to your freedom in the pocket of someone who would rather lose it than use it.

The apology you're owed is real. The debt is real. But the person who owes it is never going to pay. And you can either spend the rest of your life in the waiting room - or you can walk out, close the door, and build your peace without it.

Choose the door. Your peace is already on the other side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Worst Moment = Their Best Weapon

Your Worst Moment Was Their Best Weapon — From Gaslight to Daylight ◆ From Gaslight to Daylight ◆ Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Your Worst Moment Was Their Best Weapon What Reactive Abuse Really Is - And Why It Doesn't Make You the Abuser By Hollie Marble  |  From Gaslight to Daylight There's a moment that lives inside most survivors of narcissistic abuse. It's the moment you finally snapped. Maybe you screamed. Maybe you said something vicious - something so ugly it didn't even sound like your voice. Maybe you threw something. Maybe you checked their phone, or followed them, or said the most hurtful thing you could possibly think of just to make them feel something. And in that moment - or in the hours and days after - they looked at you with that expression. That calm, almost satisfied expression. And they said it. "See? You're the one with the problem. Look at how you're acti...

Rebuilding Your Identity After Narcissistic Abuse

Rebuilding Your Identity After Narcissistic Abuse | From Gaslight to Daylight ♦ From Gaslight to Daylight ♦ Recovery  ·  Identity  ·  By Hollie Marble Rebuilding Your Identity Who Were You Before Them?  ·  By Hollie Marble  ·  From Gaslight to Daylight Someone asked me this question once - early in my recovery, when I was still raw and hollowed out and genuinely unsure what I liked to eat for breakfast. "Who were you before them?" And I opened my mouth to answer and nothing came out. Not because I was emotional. Because I didn't know. I literally could not remember. The person I was before felt like a stranger I'd seen in a photograph once but couldn't quite place. I knew she existed. I just couldn't reach her. If that's where you are right now - standing in the rubble of someone else's version of you, trying to figure out which pieces are actually yours - I want you to know something. That blankness is no...

Leaving A Toxic Relationship? Your "No Bullshit" Guide For Getting Through The First Month

Leaving A Toxic Relationship? Your No-Bullshit Guide For Getting Through The First Month | From Gaslight to Daylight ♦ From Gaslight to Daylight ♦ Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Recovery - The Early Days Leaving A Toxic Relationship? Your No-Bullshit Guide For Getting Through The First Month What actually happens in those thirty days - and how to survive it without losing your mind. By Hollie Marble  |  From Gaslight to Daylight Nobody sat me down and told me what the first month would actually feel like. Everyone said "you're so brave" and "you did the right thing" and "you're going to be so much happier." And I wanted to believe them. I really did. But in the first thirty days? Brave wasn't even in my vocabulary. Terrified was. Gutted was. What-the-hell-did-I-just-do was. I was free and I was falling and those two things felt exactly the same. So here's what I wish someone had actually said to me. ...