Skip to main content

Reparenting Yourself After Narcissistic Abuse

Reparenting Yourself After Narcissistic Abuse | From Gaslight to Daylight

Reparenting Yourself After Narcissistic Abuse

The first time I heard the word "reparenting" I rolled my eyes so hard I almost pulled something. I'm a grown woman. I don't need a parent. I need the narcissist to stop calling my phone and my nervous system to stop treating every text notification like a threat. That's what I need. Not whatever this therapy-speak thing is.

And then someone explained what it actually means. And I sat with it for a minute. And then I cried for about twenty.

Because reparenting doesn't mean becoming a child. It means becoming the safe, steady, nurturing presence you never had - for yourself. And when you really understand what that means - when you look back at everything that wasn't built because nobody built it for you - it hits different.

♦   ♦   ♦

What Didn't Get Built

When you grow up in a narcissistic home - or when you spend years in a narcissistic relationship during the years that were supposed to shape you into yourself - certain things simply don't get built. Not because you're deficient. Because the environment didn't allow it.

You didn't learn to self-soothe because nobody soothed you. You learned to manage other people's emotions instead. You didn't learn that your feelings were valid because every feeling you had was dismissed, punished, or redirected back to someone else's needs. You didn't learn healthy limits because limits were treated as betrayal. You didn't learn to trust your own judgment because every judgment you made was overridden, criticized, or gaslit into oblivion.

These aren't character flaws. They're developmental gaps - things that were supposed to form in a safe environment but couldn't, because the environment was anything but safe.

"You're not broken. You're unfinished. And now you get to go back and build what wasn't built - not by changing the past, but by giving yourself now what you should have received then."
- Hollie Marble  ·  From Gaslight to Daylight

What It Actually Looks Like

Reparenting isn't sitting in a corner hugging a teddy bear (although honestly, no judgment if that's what you need). It's about fundamentally changing the way you treat yourself - the way you talk to yourself, the way you respond to your own needs, the way you show up for yourself in moments of fear, failure, and doubt.

It looks like speaking to yourself the way a good parent would. When you make a mistake, instead of the automatic spiral of you're so stupid, you can't do anything right - you pause. And you ask: what would I say to my kid if they made this mistake? You'd say it's okay, everyone makes mistakes, we'll figure it out. Now say that to yourself. It will feel awkward and fake at first. Do it anyway. The neural pathway that currently defaults to self-punishment was built through repetition. A new one can be built the same way.

It looks like meeting your own needs without negotiating with yourself about whether you deserve to. Eating when you're hungry. Sleeping when you're tired. Saying no to something because you don't want to do it - not because you've assembled a good enough excuse. These sound basic. They are basic. And the fact that they feel like radical acts tells you everything about how thoroughly your needs were suppressed.

The old voice
The reparented voice
"I'm so overwhelmed but I can't take a break - everyone needs me."
"I'm overwhelmed. That means I need rest. My needs matter too."
"I can't believe I cried in front of them. I'm so embarrassing."
"I had a big emotion and I expressed it. That's human. I'm not punishing myself for feeling things."
"I should have known better. This is my fault."
"I did the best I could with what I knew. I'm learning. That's enough."

It also looks like creating safety and consistency for yourself. Routines. Rituals. A morning that belongs to you before the day takes over. A bedtime you actually honor. A corner of your home that's just yours - however small - that represents calm. These aren't luxuries. They're the building blocks of a regulated nervous system. And they're the things a safe childhood would have provided automatically.

The Parts of You That Are Still Running Old Programs

When we talk about reparenting, we're talking about the parts of you that formed during the abuse - the scared part, the people-pleasing part, the hypervigilant part, the part that believes she's too much, the part that believes she's not enough. Those parts aren't weaknesses. They were brilliant survival strategies created by someone in crisis trying to stay safe in an unsafe world.

But the world has changed. You're not in that house anymore. You're not in that relationship anymore. And those parts are still running the old programs because nobody told them the war is over.

What reparenting those parts sounds like

"I see you. I know why you do what you do. And I'm here now. You don't have to protect us alone anymore."

That might mean journaling to your younger self. It might mean looking at a photo of yourself as a child and letting something crack open in your chest. It might mean buying yourself the thing nobody ever bought you - not because it fixes anything, but because the act of giving to yourself is part of the healing.

It also means gently telling some of those parts: "I know that strategy kept us alive. But we don't need it anymore. I'm going to try something different now. And I need you to trust me."

Why This Isn't Optional

Here's the part nobody likes to hear: if you don't learn to parent yourself, you'll keep looking for someone else to do it. And that search - that unconscious hunger for the safe, steady, nurturing presence you never had - is exactly what makes you vulnerable to another narcissist.

Because narcissists are brilliant at mimicking that presence. The love bombing feels like being taken care of. The intensity feels like being chosen. The control feels like someone finally holding things steady so you don't have to. Until it doesn't. Until the care becomes control. Until the choosing becomes ownership.

Reparenting yourself means you stop needing someone else to fill that role. It means the void the narcissist exploited is no longer a void - because you've filled it. With your own care. Your own voice. Your own steady, imperfect, deeply human presence.

And when you've done that work - when you can sit with yourself in a hard moment and feel safe enough - you stop looking for salvation in other people. And that changes everything about who you attract and what you'll tolerate.

♦   ♦   ♦

Tonight, before you go to sleep, try this. Put your hand on your chest and say - out loud if you can, silently if you need to - "I'm safe. I'm here. I'm not going anywhere."

Say it to the part of you that's still scared. The part still waiting for the other shoe to drop. The part that has never once been told she's allowed to rest.

It's a small thing. But small things, done consistently, build the foundation that was never built for you.

You deserved a parent who made you feel safe. You deserved a partner who made you feel valued. You didn't get those things when you needed them most. And that grief is real and it's valid and it doesn't go away overnight.

But you can be that for yourself now. Imperfectly. Awkwardly. One kind word at a time.

And that little part of you that's been waiting her whole life for someone to show up? She's going to be so glad it's you.

Ready to go deeper into the work?

From Gaslight to Daylight

442 pages on understanding and surviving narcissistic abuse - including the full picture of how abuse shapes your relationship with yourself, and how you start building something new. Written from the inside, looking back.

Find it on Amazon
If you need support right now, please reach out to the National Domestic Violence Hotline:
Call or text 1-800-799-7233  ·  Chat at thehotline.org
From Gaslight to Daylight  ·  Hollie Marble  ·  Making sure nobody has to do this alone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Worst Moment = Their Best Weapon

Your Worst Moment Was Their Best Weapon — From Gaslight to Daylight ◆ From Gaslight to Daylight ◆ Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Your Worst Moment Was Their Best Weapon What Reactive Abuse Really Is - And Why It Doesn't Make You the Abuser By Hollie Marble  |  From Gaslight to Daylight There's a moment that lives inside most survivors of narcissistic abuse. It's the moment you finally snapped. Maybe you screamed. Maybe you said something vicious - something so ugly it didn't even sound like your voice. Maybe you threw something. Maybe you checked their phone, or followed them, or said the most hurtful thing you could possibly think of just to make them feel something. And in that moment - or in the hours and days after - they looked at you with that expression. That calm, almost satisfied expression. And they said it. "See? You're the one with the problem. Look at how you're acti...

Rebuilding Your Identity After Narcissistic Abuse

Rebuilding Your Identity After Narcissistic Abuse | From Gaslight to Daylight ♦ From Gaslight to Daylight ♦ Recovery  ·  Identity  ·  By Hollie Marble Rebuilding Your Identity Who Were You Before Them?  ·  By Hollie Marble  ·  From Gaslight to Daylight Someone asked me this question once - early in my recovery, when I was still raw and hollowed out and genuinely unsure what I liked to eat for breakfast. "Who were you before them?" And I opened my mouth to answer and nothing came out. Not because I was emotional. Because I didn't know. I literally could not remember. The person I was before felt like a stranger I'd seen in a photograph once but couldn't quite place. I knew she existed. I just couldn't reach her. If that's where you are right now - standing in the rubble of someone else's version of you, trying to figure out which pieces are actually yours - I want you to know something. That blankness is no...

Leaving A Toxic Relationship? Your "No Bullshit" Guide For Getting Through The First Month

Leaving A Toxic Relationship? Your No-Bullshit Guide For Getting Through The First Month | From Gaslight to Daylight ♦ From Gaslight to Daylight ♦ Narcissistic Abuse Recovery Recovery - The Early Days Leaving A Toxic Relationship? Your No-Bullshit Guide For Getting Through The First Month What actually happens in those thirty days - and how to survive it without losing your mind. By Hollie Marble  |  From Gaslight to Daylight Nobody sat me down and told me what the first month would actually feel like. Everyone said "you're so brave" and "you did the right thing" and "you're going to be so much happier." And I wanted to believe them. I really did. But in the first thirty days? Brave wasn't even in my vocabulary. Terrified was. Gutted was. What-the-hell-did-I-just-do was. I was free and I was falling and those two things felt exactly the same. So here's what I wish someone had actually said to me. ...