From Gaslight to Daylight
Let Them
How I Learned to Let Go of Jealousy and Reclaim My Light
I used to be the kind of woman who checked phones.
Not because I wanted to be. Not because I woke up one day and decided, "You know what sounds fun? Losing sleep over text messages." No. I became that woman because I was taught to be her - by someone who cheated on me over and over again, then looked me dead in the eyes and told me I wasn't seeing what I was seeing.
I would be holding the evidence in my hands - literal text messages, right there on the screen - and he would tell me I was crazy. That I was making things up. That he wasn't a liar. That I was the problem for even looking.
And after enough times of hearing that, something inside you starts to crack. You stop trusting what you see. You stop trusting what you feel. And in the space where your confidence used to live, jealousy moves in and makes itself right at home.
The Jealousy That Was Built, Not Born
Here's what I need you to understand: the jealousy I carried was not something I was born with. It was installed. Deliberately. Strategically.
When someone cheats on you and then gaslights you about it, they are doing two things at once. They're betraying you, and then they're making you feel insane for noticing. Over time, that combination creates a very specific kind of wound - one that tells you: You are not enough. You will never be enough. And if you let your guard down for even a second, you'll be replaced.
So you don't let your guard down. Ever.
You white-knuckle everything. You monitor. You scan rooms. You overanalyze a three-word text message for forty-five minutes. You try to be the perfect wife, the perfect partner, the perfect everything - because somewhere in the back of your broken mind, you believe that if you just try hard enough, they'll stop. They'll choose you. They'll finally see what they have.
But they don't. Because they never were going to. And that's the part that nearly destroyed me.
Enter the "Let Them" Theory
If you haven't come across Mel Robbins' "Let Them" theory yet, the idea is beautifully simple: Let them.
Let them not text you back. Let them misunderstand you. Let them walk away. Let them do whatever they're going to do - because you were never going to control it anyway.
When I first heard this, it hit me like a freight train. Because I had spent years trying to control someone else's behavior through sheer force of will. I thought that if I cried hard enough, loved hard enough, gave enough of myself away, I could make him faithful. I could make him honest. I could make him safe.
I couldn't. And the "Let Them" theory finally gave me permission to stop trying.
Let him cheat. Let him lie. Let him gaslight.
But then - and this is the part that changed everything for me - let me leave. Let me stop begging someone to love me the way I deserved. Let me take my power back.
The Hardest Part Nobody Talks About
The jealousy didn't leave when he did. That's the part nobody warns you about.
You can leave the narcissist and still carry the programming. I'd be in a perfectly healthy situation and feel my chest tighten when a woman walked into the room. I'd catch myself scanning for threats that didn't exist. I'd project old fears onto new people who had done nothing to earn my distrust.
That's the thing about narcissistic abuse - it rewires you. It trains your nervous system to live in a constant state of what if.
What if he's lying? What if she's a threat? What if I'm not enough - again?
And so I had to learn to apply "Let Them" not just to my ex, but to myself. To my own fear.
Let the fear come. Let the intrusive thoughts show up. But then let me choose not to act on them. Let me remind myself that what happened then is not happening now. Let me be the one who decides what I carry forward and what I set down.
What "Let Them" Really Means After Abuse
For those of us who've survived narcissistic relationships, "Let Them" isn't about being passive. It's not about rolling over or pretending things don't hurt. It's about finally understanding something that abuse stole from us: we were never in control of anyone else's choices.
I could have been the most beautiful, attentive, loving woman on the planet and it would not have stopped the cheating. It would not have stopped the lies. Because that was never about me. It was about him.
And the jealousy? That was just the scar tissue from believing it was about me for so long.
"Let Them" helped me release the grip. Not all at once - Lord, no. Some days I still have to talk myself down. Some days the old programming boots up and I feel that familiar tightness in my chest. But now, instead of white-knuckling my way through it, I take a breath and I say: Let them. And let me choose differently.
If This Sounds Like You
If you're reading this and you recognize yourself - the checking, the hypervigilance, the jealousy that you know isn't really you but feels impossible to shake - I want you to hear this from someone who has been exactly where you are:
That jealousy is not a character flaw. It's a trauma response. And you don't have to let it run your life forever.
Let them do whatever they're going to do. But let you heal. Let you grow. Let you become the woman who trusts herself again - not because the world has proven itself safe, but because you've proven that you can handle whatever comes.
That's the real power of "Let Them." It was never about letting go of other people. It was about finally holding on to yourself.

Comments
Post a Comment